I have a studio set up in my basement where I can create music from multiple tracks using both MIDI and audio. My main goals are to compose new pieces and study old ones. I play guitar and keyboards and have built a DAW based studio to record from those instruments.
This is a schematic of the setup (drawn with Google Draw) :
The hardware components are:
- Apple Mac Mini (Late 2012)
- Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB audio interface
- Kurzweil ME-1 MIDI sound module
- Event PS LS6 Powered Speakers
- Emu XBoard 49 keyboard controller
- PRS SE Soapbar Semi Hollow guitar
On my list of things to do is get a DI box for the guitar. The Scarlett supports switching input impedence levels and has input preamps to boost the signal but I not sure this is optimal. I suspect that a DI box would probably improve the recording of the soap bar pickups on the PRS.
The software components are:
- Logic Pro X (DAW plus instruments library)
- Mainstage 3 (live play)
- Notion 6 (musical notation and scoring)
- Audacity (audio editing)
- Soundflower (routing audio streams)